After a few mishaps.the long awaited Atocha sampler set sail on September 6th. I found out the hard way that my poor middle aged eyes can no longer find those tiny little 40 count holes, even with the help of my trusty Dazor. So it was back to the linen box to salvage a similarly toned linen with a more visible weave. The best I could do was this piece of 32 count lambswool, which is a little bit on the beigy side for my preference, but at least it was in hand. Here's a look at progress so far.
I just had to have a shot of the cool scissor fob I'm enjoying while working on this piece! When Halley was in high school, she took a jewelry making class as an art credit and went through a phase of manufacturing scissors fobs for my stitching group. There is still an impressive collection of them lingering around with my stitching stuff. I thought this one has a an interesting Gulf of Mexico feel to it, with its mix of shell, silver and sea glass. Isn't it funny how the little things really are what makes this sort of project so much fun?
Here's a close up of the motifs so far.
Gotta love that brazen mermaid! Since this was taken, I've pulled the bright yellow center of the sun out and am in the process of restitching it in the same sandy white color I've got in mind for the ship sails. To my eye, there wasn't quite enough contrast between the yellows I used, which made the center look a little lemony. I'm hoping the lighter center will pull it all together once the ship sails do go in. We'll see. This is one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" projects, so as it gets underway, I'm just going to let the motifs tell me what color they really want to be, even if it means second guessing color choices from time to time.
But speaking of destination pieces, the end is getting real with Jean Rattray! Here's a look at the finished grove of trees and the right hand flower urn.
2 more major additions to it, and she's done! Another of these needs to go on the left of the trees.
You'll also notice that empty space between the forest ground and the top of the border band needs to be filled. That'll be another solid slog, but I'm hoping if it's the very last step before completion, I'll be motivated to get 'er done. I may also work my initials and the year into the sides of that spot, as they'll be unobtrusive there and might also break up the monotony. Seeing as I started Jean as a New Year's piece, an easy goal will be to have her done by the upcoming holidays. I'm planning to take her back up as soon as some of the honeymoon romance with the Atocha piece wears thin.
A few posts back, I shared some pics of a beautifully finished cigar box I was given. Since then. the idea of finishing one for myself has been a bug in my brain. So that's another project underway now, though stitching on it has been relegated to later in the evenings. Progress so far:
Adam and Even are taken from the Goode Huswife's Sarah Seifer. When they're done, they'll be mounted on the inside of the cigar box lid. The bottom of the box will be lined with the fabric. Just describing it makes me want to get busy, because it's really not a huge undertaking! Anyway, I'll share progress as it evolves.
So that brings me up to date with all my stitching launches. Thanks for stopping by - I'll be sure to return the visit!