Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Planning Ahead

Hi!  I was so tickled earlier this week to sneak a look at my blog at lunchtime and find I'd gained some new followers.  Welcome!!  Knowing the blogging world has down-sized somewhat since I first signed on, I'd more or less accepted the fact that my list of followers wasn't going to be very extensive. It's a thrill to know that there are still new folks out there who've decided my intermittent ramblings are worth keeping up with.  I love blogging!  It makes me think more carefully about my stitching and  keep track of others who do the same.

So on that note, let's catch up since my last post. ....

Actual stitching time has been devoted exclusively to Hannah Pepper, who if all goes as planned, should be officially graduated by the end of September. 


I think the last time I shared a status update on Hannah, the bottom border was complete, but not much was underway as far as those bottom potted plants or life sucking grassy knoll they all sit on.  As you can see some of it has changed since then.  Here are some close ups.

.










Love the little crown detail up in the corner!  But I'm sorry, those big bottom blooms might just be be Venus fly traps.  Don't think I'm put my fingers too close to them.....






















Following the flesh-eating potted plant is a lovely basket of citrus and what I think must be a lion on a leash.  Gotta put him on a shorter leash once all is said and done because the original one looks a little droopy at this point.



















This bottom grassy knoll has been kicking my behind!  Not so much because of the solid stitching but because of those somewhat random brown patches.  Those of you who are working on Hannah but haven't reached those point - a word of advice:  chuck the chart with those fuzzy little symbols side by side and just go with the picture and your gut.  In the end, it won't matter one tiny bit if your finished Hannah's grassy knoll isn't identical to the original.  But it will matter that you're still sane and breathing, your eyesight is intact and your Hannah hasn't been incinerated.

Don't you just love that little doggy on the side of the urn?  Can't tell if he's a dachshund or a beagle, but just like my three girls, he's most definitely following his nose.  Who knows, maybe there's cheese or even just a dirty plate under that urn.....

But with Hannah's end so impending, part of the motivation to get her done once and for all has been in planning ahead to what comes next,  I have quite a bit of travel for work coming up in the next few weeks, so I thought I'd figure out something small and portable to work on in hotel rooms.  Diving through my stuff this weekend turned up one I've actually stitched before.  I'm sorry to say the stitching of it was lovely, but I completely mangled it in a crude attempt at finishing. Remember "The Angel of Tulips" by Good Huswife?












I already have a bit of linen and the left over silks to give her a second chance at life.

 I just need to remember that if I love her enough to give her another shot, I also have to love her enough to let Faye do the finishing.....












And I've also been considering starting another Quaker piece when Miss Hannah is all done.  Something that would compliment Ann Grimshaw and Sarah Tatum without being too similar.   And the perfect piece for that would be Raggamuffin 2 by Shakespeare's Peddler.  I've been in love with this gentle sampler since I first laid eyes on it.


I ordered up the silks for this beauty thinking I already had the Light Examplar linen needed for it.  But a ransack through the linen box yesterday determined anything that was the right size wasn't the right thread count of color.  Also when I did put the silks on the tiny little bit of light exemplar I did have, I think it looked a little too pink for what I was picturing.  Not sure at this point what to do about that.  Suggestions for an alternative?

Finally, let me show you some funky little tweezers I happened to stumble across recently while trying to keep myself entertained as Halley loaded her cosmetics basket at Ulta.  Aren't these cool?


I have to admit, those pretty beach colors are what caught my eye.  But on closer examination, I love that they are small and precise, perfect for picking thread remnants (and  dog hair) off stitching repairs.  And they come in their own awesome little leather sheath. just like they were intended all along to be needlework tools!

No doubt football season and cooler weather will be on the horizon for at least some of you very soon.  Where did the summer get off to?  As always, thanks for checking in!



 .

13 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hannah is looking great.
Those DO look like Venus Fly-Traps! lol
Cute tweezers also.
Marilyn

Faye said...

Hey Mary..... Love Hannah! I have her in my "to-do someday" pile... AND, like you, I have Ragamuffin 2 ready to go.... I'm actually considering Pearled Barley linen by Lakeside... Still not sure.... As for your sweet ornie... :))... Good job.. However if you want me to out a little spring in her step, I can rescue her! Send her on to me and I'll show you what I mean.... :))

Vickie said...

That is exactly what I thought when I found a pink version of those tweezers this year! :D

Melissa said...

Mary, you are doing so well with your stitching! Everything is looking great.

Those tweezers look like great tools. I do like that fishy in your ...scissor fob, is that what it's called? I think my brain just blanked out!

Happy Stitching!

Margaret said...

Hannah is gorgeous! I'd heard there are mistakes in the chart?? Is that true???? I can't wait to see your finish! Love that angel piece too -- I don't think your first version is so bad, personally. And those tweezers -- very nice! Cute and small!

Barb said...

Hannah is so beautiful. My little granddaughter is named Hannah. Maybe I need to stitch that sampler!

Ali said...

Your Hannah is looking great you've made some amazing progress. Sorry I can't make any suggestions for an alternative linen for your Ragamuffin as I can only get mine online and just tend to go with the suggested linens. Oooh I would love to be able to shop for linens and to see them in the flesh so to speak, but that would probably prove to be very expensive lol x

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Wow just look at all this goodness! Love it all. I may have to find a pair of those tweezers. Too stinking awesome. Have a good week!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Hannah looks gorgeous and I agree with you on just going with the flow on the grass section - at the end of the day it won't matter.

Glad to see that Faye offered up you sending her your existing ornament versus re-stitching if you're not satisfied with it.

I never thought of tweezers for dog hair (or my own). I'm always trying to grab it with my fingers and that doesn't work out well that often.

Krista said...

Hi Mary, Your Hannah Pepper looks AMAZING! I really really really must start mine!! I have the linen too, all ready to go! I also love your new choice ready for the start. I think your angel ornament came out great! I have that pattern too, it is an oldie! I may have to look for those Revlon tools too (for the cat hair! lol) Have a great week! Thanks for the inspiration!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Hannah is certainly a beautiful pattern and I love the colors. I found some tweezers that I love (Martel's I think) but they don't have a sheath. Maybe I should make one. :) blessings, marlene

Gabriella said...

Lovely post :-) Ciao.

Carol said...

Hannah is such an impressive sampler, Mary--I'm always so in awe of stitchers like you who stitch these bigger pieces :)

Good luck with your newest Angel of Tulips piece. I really think your finish is just fine--we are all too critical of our own work...