Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Shoving Off

Is everyone one staying dry and cool?  I have to remind myself that not everywhere in the world is the weather wet, humid and spongy as it is here right now.  Mushrooms pop up overnight in my yard like a town of fungal prairie dogs....eewwww!  Wishing for some cool, dry breezes but there are absolutely none to be had.

So I thought I'd post a quickie on my finish of 7 Sailors, which will be shoving off for Ms. Faye's mountain hideaway tomorrow morning.  She's promised to do something unimaginable with them and a cigar box.  The waiting is going to kill me!

But here they are in all their rugged manliness....


I had so much fun with these dudes, wish I'd finished them sooner than I did.  Gotta love a sailor in a dress...


You'll notice the water isn't a solid stitch as indicated on the original chart.  That one had the waves stitched in solid bars varying in different shades of blue.  I wasn't really planning to do anything other than that, but since I was using overdyed threads anyway and each bar was stitched in alternating shades, the simplest way to go about it seemed like skipping every other stitch and then going back a second time.  Are you with me on that? 

But what I found was that I like the openness of it rather than the density of the original solid stitches.  It tended to pick up on the same pattern from the rigging and the crow's nest, yet the variegation of the thread itself still gave enough color changes.  See what I mean?


Haven't quite decided if that's a dog or a cat on board, but whatever it is it cracks me up.

Work has also been underway on Ms, Hannah Pepper, but it's mostly been a slog on the endless pasture at the bottom.  How can a solid span of grass be so boring and yet so nerve wracking at the same time?  So I've decided to spare the gritty details of that for another post when there will be a little more excitement to be shared on Hannah's behalf.  Let's just hope mushrooms don't start springing up in there as well...

Thanks for stopping in!




















shovmh Off

7 comments:

Barb said...

The sailors look great and I love the way the water turned out. We have had a good week with temps in the 70's. The heat returns mid-week. Here in the NW very few places have AC and that includes restaurants. So when it gets hot we really suffer. At least the humidity is low.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

You know, Mary, I like the water the way you stitched it. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear it's supposed to be like that. The blue you had really stitched in nicely. Congrats on a fun finish!

Margaret said...

I love the Seven Sailors finish! Can't wait to see what Faye does with it. The way you stitched the ocean is brilliant!

Carol said...

What a darling finish, Mary--so whimsical and fun! Your water design is brilliant--just love it :)

Hot and humid here, too--the hottest weather of the summer so far. Thank goodness for AC!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

This is just a wonderful piece - I can't wait to see what she does with it! blessings, marlene

mary's blog said...

Love You! Mwah! xoxo

Kate said...

what a fun finish! The pet on deck cracks me up too :)