Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Home Again

Good Lord, I'm completely flabbergasted to see it's been a full month since my last post.  No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth or returned from the dead - nothing quite so dramatic as all that - but I have been back home in the Midwest for the better part of July.  It was a bittersweet trip, as I more than likely won't be back to my home town again, at least not for extended visits.  Anyway.....

My mother, God bless her 85 year old heart, has decided to start a new life in Texas!  She'll be so much closer to my sisters and two brothers and their families, will have endurable winters and and a huge Dallas quilt guild to build friendships in. It's been the right decision for her, though not one easily made.  As a result, all seven of us gathered up at the beginning of the month to make the big move happen.  My sisters and I cleared the house and packed up all of Mom's stuff, while my brothers sold it and made the move.  She's now settling into her new home with my sister and her husband in the suburbs of Dallas.  Whew, I'm exhausted!

And what does any of this have to do with stitching?  Well, here we go....

Over the years, I've stitched pieces for my parents and they've now all come back home with me. It's been great fun to have them back and to find new spots around my own house for the different things, especially with all their sentimental attachments.  Like this Needle's Prayse piece, adapted in honor of my Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary....







 


This sampler was stitched circa 1987 as a house worming gift.  My dad was approaching retirement and my parents had just built a brand new smaller house. For the life of me, I don't remember the name or designer?  But whatever the original was, I also adapted it by adding a special verse as a blessing for their home.
 
.

And this little bit was stitched as a Christmas gift one year on a linen doily I'd found at the local antiques mall.  I think it was on display in their bedroom. It now has a new home in my kitchen.

 

Of course, there were other family treasures that came back to Florida with me, but I couldn't wait to share the stitching!  Little of the same was actually accomplished during the visit though, so progress on current projects will have to wait until there's actually something to show.

Hope this finds all of you enjoying your summer and finding time for the people and things you love the most.  I'm glad to be back home!

11 comments:

marly said...

That's a major task completed in relatively short time. Best wishes to her in her new state. The anniversary's open work is superb!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Best wishes to your mom in her new home state! The pieces you stitched for your parents over the years are lovely. I especially love the 50th anniversary sampler. What a treasure!

Krista said...

Best wishes to your Mom in her new home. The pieces that you had stitched for your parents are all beautiful, treasures for your family.

Margaret said...

All the best to your mom -- hope she's happy in her new home. What good kids you all are to pitch in together to help her make her move too. Love your stitching. That anniversary piece -- wow wow wow!!! You can do harganger? Anyone who can do hardanger is an expert way up in the stars stitcher to me! So so beautiful! And such a special piece for that anniversary celebration too. Glad you are back home again!

Ali said...

Well done on getting your mum moved and settled so quickly! Wow on your gorgeous pieces of needlework and how lovely to have them back home again and with such wonderful memories. So much work and detail in the anniversary sampler and I love how you have repurposed an old doily in such a lovely and unique way.

P.J. said...

Lovely stitched gifts to cherish all over again. Best wishes to your mom as she starts her next chapter.

Lanie said...

Best wishes to your mom as she begins a new 'chapter' ... may she have many happy years in Dallas.
The pieces you stitched for your parents over the years are beautiful and all the more special because of the memories and stories they hold.
Enjoy the remainder of your summer ... look forward to your next progress post.

Melissa said...

You have made some beautiful pieces for your parents. I am glad they came home with you along with the memories. It's nice that your mom is now settled in her new home. Now you can relax?

Carol said...

I know this was a difficult time for you, Mary, as I went through the same exact thing with my childhood home and a move for my parents up to be nearer my brother and sister two years ago. You are happy your mom is safe and sound in her new home, but it just isn't the same with the old one gone, is it? The cleaning out of the family home is such an exhausting thing--both physically and mentally...

Your pieces are so beautiful and will remind you of those special occasions each time you walk past them.

Penny said...

Hope you mom settles in and enjoys her new home. It's good that she can be with family. What lovely pieces you stitched over the years ~ especially love the house warming gift!

Brigitte said...

These pieces stitched for your parents are so beautiful. I can imagine that they enjoyed having them at their home.
All the best wishes to your mom to adjust in her new home.